Singapore, 2 February 2007 – Men´s Health, a SPH Magazines title, has been searching for a group of guys who best embody what Men´s Health is about. These are guys who lead well balanced lives; not only do they take care of their health and fitness, they have also achieved success in their career of choice, and most of all, they have fun doing all of it.
Started in August 2006, readers were asked to send in their personal success stories, be it in the areas of fitness, weight-loss, career, or experiences in overcoming odds to be where they are today.
From the entries submitted by interested readers, 10 were picked based on their balanced lifestyles, as well as their inspiring stories. Then readers were asked to vote online for these 10 finalists. A champion among them would be revealed, based on readers´ votes, at Zouk on 2 February 2007. The champion will win over S$8,000 worth of prizes, while each finalist, $1,500 worth of prizes, all from the sponsors.
As part of the “Are You Men´s Health Enough?” Contest, the 10 finalists have been put through a rigorous fitness test, a style challenge, a quiz by our Girl-Next-Door (MH´s relationship columnist), and were first showcased to the public at Velocity Mall on 5 January 2007.
“These 10 finalists are winners in their own right for all their personal successes and inspiring stories. They aptly represent Men´s Health – the belief in leading balanced life, perseverance to overcome the odds and tenacity to pursue success in their own field. We want to show our men that ordinary as they are, they can still make a difference and be an inspiration,” said Raymond Goh, Editor, Men´s Health.
Some of these inspiring stories include:
- Bernard; the once-overweight 41-year-old father of two only started exercising three years ago when he was nearing the Big Four-O. He has since kept his weight in check – Bernard is an avid runner – despite his hectic familial and work commitments.
- Andrew; a successful financial consultant, Andrew came from a poor family and had to juggle part-time work and studies all the way through his university days. More amazingly, he´s managed to make fitness a part of his life even today, juggling his career, his family of four, as well as his personal passion to work with youth-based charities.
- Heng Seng; he lost both his parents to cancer during his teen years and had to work part-time to support himself through his NUS Pharmacology course. He also found time to earn a black belt in Taekwon-do during those trying days, and today works as a pharmacist in a major pharmacy chain.
Following up, a series of follow-up activities will be organised for these finalists to share their experiences to inspire and make a difference in others´ lives. Men´s Health will work with Northland Secondary School, to organise talks and workshops for these finalists to highlight to the students the importance of keeping fit and leading a balanced life, and to drive home the message that fitness, health, success and a balanced life – all of them pillars of Men´s Health – is a lifelong endeavour worth working at.
Holding this event for the first time, Men´s Health intends to continue organizing it on a yearly basis.
Men´s Health is published by SPH Magazines under an exclusive licence in Singapore by Rodale Inc. an international publishing house.
Issued by Corporate Communications, SPH Magazines
SPH Magazines Pte Ltd
DID: 6319 2336
About SPH Magazines Pte Ltd
A leading publisher in Singapore and the region, SPH Magazines Pte Ltd is a wholly-owned subsidiary of media giant Singapore Press Holdings Limited.
With a proven track record for sterling editorial content & award-winning designs, SPH Magazines raises the bar as a dynamic magazine publisher. In its stable are over 90 titles in English and Chinese, covering lifestyle, fashion, beauty, society, bridal, health, men´s lifestyle, movies, automobile, parenting, decor, new media and business. All the newsstand publications, including flagship title Her World, and other well-known titles such as Female, The Peak, Home and Decor, Nuyou, Torque, HWM and GameAxis are among the highest-circulating titles and best-read in their respective lifestyle category.
In addition, an established editorial unit provides excellent custom publishing services to major corporate clients by producing custom lifestyle magazines, newsletters and other collateral to meet their business needs.
With a vision to continue growth regionally, SPH Magazines is set to become Asia´s publishing powerhouse. It has editorial offices in China, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Magazines in its fold have achieved strong market presence in their respective sectors, as well as distinguished track records and solid reputations.
At SPH Magazines, the promise is to deliver its best to meet the diverse needs and interests of readers and advertisers.
About Men´s Health Magazine
Launched in June 2003, Men’s Health Singapore is quickly establishing itself as the magazine for the sophisticated and active man. An authority on men’s fitness, health, sex, travel and fashion, Men’s Health is the ideal vehicle to reach a male audience that is vibrant, financially secure and looking for an editorial product that is presented in an approachable, sophisticated and professional manner.
(A) LIST OF FINALISTS
1) Andrew Ang, 33, Financial Planning Manager… ever a newspaper delivery boy, durian seller, soft drink peddler, waiter, he had done it all. Even though he has been out NS for over 12 years, he is still scoring Gold for his annual IPPT. He also volunteers with Student Care Services, a Community Chest supported organization that works with youth.
2) Derek, 25, Undergraduate… an explosive bundle of energy which cannot be stil, this ex-commando gets his sports fix from beach volleyball to dragon to tennis to badminton to squash to basketball to swimming and the list goes on. Working out is literally his way of life.
3) Dylan Lee, 30, Sales Engineer… an avid football and basketball player started a regular gym routine, tried his hands at modeling and even took part in a couple of pageants. He wants it all – career, relationship, active lifestyle which will keep him fit and looking good.
4) Bernard Ong, 41, Engineer… five years ago he was 30kg overweight, saddled with a back problem and suffering from diabetes. A copy of Men´s Health later, he started working out and has since shedded 22 kg and eight inches in three months. What an inspiration!
5) Ted Chan, 37, Director of Sales… eloquent and engaging, this father of two found his girth shoot up to 34 includes while studying for his MBA five years ago. That made him reads extensively on men´s health and embraces fitness in a holistic way. Today, Ted looks younger and fitter than before and can literally rattle off the calorie count of almost any dish.
6) Adrian Tan, 30, Personal Trainer… inspired by Men´s Health, this once pudgy kid started weights training and has since kept to his strict workout schedule religiously for the last 13 years! Winning numerous bodybuilding championships, this guy made all of us proud.
7) Kyle Chen, 35, DJ & Personal Trainer… fun is etched all over this energetic personal trainer who was once also a competitive sailor and part time DJ. As a successful personal trainer, he has ever helped a guy go from 180kg to half that. He reckons fitness is fun and not a chore, so keep fit and live well.
8) Kenneth Koh, 23, Trainee Teacher… used to be a whopping 120kg. With sheer determination and perseverance, he has managed to shed 50kg over two years. With his dream job in sight and a dream physique in place, Kenneth is ready to live life to the fullest.
9) Azmi, Professional Soccer Player… has a passion for football since the age of 14. He now guards the goal for SAF Football Club and believes that what is needed to cultivate local football talents to international levels is spotting him early and nurturing him. Azmi believes sports is a lot like studying where one has to commit in it to excel.
10) Lim Heng Seng, 27, Pharmacist… losing both his parents to cancer, made him learnt the hard way to take life seriously and look out for himself. The Taekwon-do black belt put himself through university by giving tuition who eventually graduated with a degree in pharmacy. He is one who believes in working towards his goals, whether big or small.
(B) CRITERIA FOR WINNING
1) Men´s Health´s Editorial team selected 10 finalist from entries submitted by readers who are interested to participate in this contest
2) Men´s Health readers are then invited to vote online for these 10 finalists at www.rumhenough.com.
Prizes include Oris Frank Sinatra Power Reserve Watch, One year Fitness First membership, Polar Watch, Calvin Klein Fragrance Hamper and Substance Hairdressing voucher, worth over $8,000.
Prizes include 6 months Fitness First Membership, Calvin Klein Fragrance Hamper, Polar Watch voucher and Substance Hairdressing voucher, worth $1,500 for each finalist.
(D) LIST OF SPONSORS
1) Official Apparel: CELIO
2) Official Energy Bar: Powerbar
3) Official Fitness Centre: Fitness First
4) Official Fragrances: CK Fragrances
5) Official Hair Salon: Substance
6) Official Radio Station:Power98
7) Official Skincare: Neutrogena Men
8) Official Timepiece: Oris
9) Official Training Tool: POLAR - Listen to your Body
10) Official Travel Partner: Wotif.com
11) Venue Sponsors: Velocity Mall, Zouk
12) Beer Sponsor: Tiger Beer.